Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Baby Story

Have I ever told you that Annamarie is obsessed with the TLC show "A Baby Story"? I DVR them for her and she watches them over and over until she has memorized the lines. It is one her more autistic tendencies, but it's harmless and a girl has got to have some interests besides jewelry. When our pastor's wife announced that she was pregnant with her third child, she told Annamarie that she was welcome to visit as soon as the baby was born, and Annamarie has talked about that at least once a day for six months. I swear she has waited as anxiously for this baby as the baby's parents have.

If I must be honest, Annamarie's enthusiasm isn't nearly as much about the baby as it is about the pregnancy and the related medical procedures. When she watches Baby Story, she fast forwards through the parents' preparations for their bundle of joy and right to the labor and delivery. She is just beginning to learn to multiply by 7, but she can tell you everything you might want to know about epidurals. Occasionally she will randomly bust out a line from her favorite show, like yesterday when she told our pastor, "I can't handle the contractions." He is fortunately aware of her obsession and just laughed, but I am sure we've gotten some concerned looks when Annamarie talks about being pregnant at age ten.

Anyway, the blessed event finally arrived and we visited sweet little Sarah Elizabeth and her family at the hospital. This is a strange angle, but Annamarie was holding the baby and said, "Mom, she looks like a baby doll."



I got a couple of beautiful photos of the new baby with her parents, but I didn't think to ask their permission to post them, so you get me. Luckily the sweet baby doll was sleeping peacefully and wasn't frightened by my lack of makeup and eyebrows that need waxing.



I had an epiphany on the way out of the hospital. Fourteen years have passed since we began struggling with infertility, and I have finally reached the point where I can hold a newborn baby and not ache to have one of my own. I am thankful for the miracle and blessing of Sarah's new life, and I am also thankful that I will not be the one waking up every two hours with her.

1 comment:

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

That is such a cute story! And an adorable baby. Your pastor and his wife sound like absolutely wonderful people to have in your life.