Sunday, January 17, 2010

Playing catch-up

I'm not going to even mention my lack of blogging. Just pretend like I've been here every day, providing you with interesting, inspiring, and funny content, and let's move on. Our holiday season was derailed a bit by the Blizzard of '09 and by our being trapped in a Maryland hotel for three nights. I'm blaming those events for the fact that I didn't get my cards mailed until December 26, and also for our totally forgetting that we had purchased (not cheap) tickets to see the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes show in Richmond. The show was on December 23rd, and I was so excited about it, having heard from friends that it is an amazing show. On the 27th, I was sitting at my mom's house and suddenly realized that we had forgotten to go. I am additionally going to blame that one on my obviously perimenopausal state, which--who knew?--apparently makes one dumb as a box of rocks.

I didn't do a whole lot of homemade gifts this year, but I did make this house on a gift box, which was heavily inspired by Melissa Phillips. Mine is much simpler than hers, but I love it and the recipient seems to as well, or else she is just very kind and a good actress.



Annamarie and I made several kinds of sweet and spicy nuts for teacher gifts, during which project I burned $30 worth of almonds to a crisp (see aforementioned box of rocks). We made candied pecans, chipotle honey peanuts, Mexi-cashews, and cajun spice pecans, and now my mouth is watering.



Every year I intend to send handmade Christmas cards, and even though they were late getting in the mail, I actually did it this year! These cards are so sparkly and glittery in real life.



Last but not least, I promised to post a better photo of the banner and window frame I made. I haven't decided whether I am going to remove the banner and photos and redecorate the window, or whether I'll put it away as is for next Christmas.

2 comments:

Diane Duda said...

I'm sure she wasn't acting! The box is beautiful as are the cards. I didn't even send store bought cards this year. Or last or the year before. We used to be so good about it. :(
Oh well, hope your 2010 is off to a good start.
xo
Di

bibc said...

thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind words as well. i suppose it wouldn't help to know why. i just wish that question stopped popping into my head. :)

i am so glad i found yours! you are so crafty and i love it! i used to be crafty when i taught preschool but i never applied that at home as much. you have inspired me to look through and find something i can do! hopefully something to take up some of this time i have on my hands. i say put the christmas window away for next year! don't mess with perfection :)
lisa