Saturday, March 6, 2010

Most days I consider it a major accomplishment when I get myself showered, dressed, and fed all in the same 24 hour period, and then there are days like today. Annamarie and I went to breakfast with a friend, and then to the supermarket, where we proceeded to spend the equivalent of Haiti's gross national product. Not only had the cupboard been bare for quite a few days, Ron and I are responsible for feeding dinner to our church's youth group tomorrow night. Almost exactly a year ago we invited some friends over for dinner, and the day before they were to arrive I realized that I did not own enough glasses or silverware to serve everyone. At 14 people, that was the largest group I had ever cooked for. I don't know what possessed me to agree to cook dinner for 50 ravenous teenagers, but back in September when I signed up, March 7 seemed awfully far in the future. We lucked out though because the high school youth are on a retreat this weekend and we only have to feed about 20 middle schoolers.

Anyway, I have prepared an unimaginable quantity of salad which, if my own children are any indication, none of them will touch. I made Pioneer Woman's Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever, and only had to start over once when I didn't follow directions. I won't detail all of the preparations, but I have to say this non-cook is very proud to be almost ready to serve spaghetti (with meat and vegetarian sauces), garlic bread, salad and chocolate cake to a horde of young people who would probably have preferred Domino's pizza.

Much more within my comfort zone, I also whipped up this card to go with a gift for a new baby who is soon to join our family (extended family --- my brother's stepson's girlfriend, seriously). I've only had the wrapped gift sitting on my desk for about two months. I really really hate going to the post office, but the baby isn't due for another couple of weeks. Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

very pretty card! Cannot believe you fed that many teenagers, I would have been in stress overdrive LOL!Congrats on a job accomplished and well done I am sure!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting cool mom. I popped over to check out your site and I am very impressed with your scrapbooking. I always thought it sounded kind of silly, but what you do is very artful. I don't have the brain for that. You have an eye.