Monday, March 24, 2008

Celebrations

Yesterday was a glorious sunny Easter Day in Virginia (still a little chilly) and I didn't get a single photo of my beautiful children in their Easter clothes, or our church's flower-covered cross, or the Easter lilies. I am a little sad that my kids are really too old for Easter Egg hunts. I did take a few shots of Annamarie dyeing eggs. I think I enjoy it as much as the kids do.





I neglected to post about Annamarie's birthday extravaganza weekend, an annual tradition where we meet my friend Mary Beth and her three kids in Charlotte. We stay at a hotel with free breakfast, an indoor pool, and a hot tub, and just hang out together. We use Annamarie's birthday as the excuse for the gathering, but it's just a great end-of-winter getaway for all of us, and a chance to catch up. I am so happy that we have maintained our friendship since Mary Beth's family moved to Knoxville five years ago.







Because of Annamarie's developmental disability, she doesn't have any friends at school. Normal conversation does not come easily to her, and most kids don't have the patience to wade through the nonsense talk to see her sweetness and joy in everything. (It breaks my heart every day, especially now that she is getting older and more aware that she is different.) Mary Beth's kids have known her since they were toddlers, and they accept her and love her for who she is. That might not be the case if they were around each other every day, but for this one weekend every year, my beautiful little girl has two girlfriends. And another brother to annoy. I don't know if I've expressed to Mary Beth how much that means to me. Thank you, MB and Jackson and Jennifer and Kemper, for being our friends. We love you.

No comments: